The examination is viewed by the ASHK Council as a necessary step on our path towards statutory recognition, ensuring actuaries practicing in Hong Kong have the relevant local knowledge and a career advantage. Passing the ASHK Examination is a recognized commitment to knowledge and practical appreciation in Hong Kong’s actuarial regulatory environment, business practice, professional conduct code, and actuarial guidance notes relevant in practice areas of life insurance, pension, and general insurance.
Some of the well-established insurers and key regulators in Hong Kong as a sign of support for the ASHK examination have started listing “FASHK/the ASHK Examination Preferred” in their job advertisements of actuarial related vacancies or considered the ASHK membership as an advantage under their recruitment criteria. We expect there to be a wide adoption of the exam in the industry.
Candidates passed both Core and Elective papers will be awarded with the Examination Certificate/Fellowship Certificate issued by ASHK. Actuarial Society of Hong Kong (ASHK) is pleased to announce the roll-out of its local actuarial examination applicable to new Fellows of the ASHK.
The ASHK is pleased to announce the roll-out of its local actuarial examination (on top of the overseas professional examinations) applicable to new Fellow of the ASHK post transition period (defined as below).
- In December 2013, ASHK members voted in favor of pursuing the recognition of the ASHK as a statutory body. ASHK Council recognised that some enhancements shall be made to prepare the ASHK in becoming a statutory body. These include developing and introducing a set of local actuarial examinations in Hong Kong as a prerequisite for new Fellows of the ASHK starting from 1 January 2019.
- In June 2017, the ASHK made available to its members the examination curriculum which covers areas of local regulations and industry practices pertaining to actuaries in Hong Kong practicing in life insurance, pension, general insurance and investment.
- Passing of the examinations serves to demonstrate the candidate’s knowledge in the local landscape and the actuarial guidance notes as well as to gain appreciation in professional standards.
- The examination is viewed by the ASHK Council as a necessary step on our path towards statutory recognition, ensuring actuaries practicing in Hong Kong have the relevant local knowledge.
- All existing ASHK Fellow members who hold valid membership status on 1 January 2019 are eligible for grandfathering. ASHK may introduce a Professional Development Course as part of the transitional arrangements. More details will be announced in due course.
- Any ASHK Fellow member who was grandfathered but has subsequently lapsed their membership, regardless of any reasons, is required to take the examinations to requalify as an ASHK Fellow thereafter.
All ASHK members including Fellow, Associate and Student Members are welcome to take the examination.
- The individual is required to obtain a pass grade on the Core paper AND one of the three Elective papers of the ASHK examination, i.e. Life Insurance, General Insurance and Pension.
- There are no exemptions for the examination for members joining after 1 January 2019. It is encouraged that candidates take the examinations early on to demonstrate sufficient understanding in local landscapes which will help candidates to discharge their actuarial professional responsibilities.
- In addition to the ASHK examination, the individual must be a Fellow member of at least one of the following accredited actuarial bodies: - - Actuaries Institute Australia, Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), USA, Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA), UK, Society of Actuaries (SOA), USA, or possess appropriate professional actuarial qualification other than the above and practical experience as approved by the ASHK Council.
- Examinations are held every year.
- Core paper and Elective papers will be offered each sitting.
- Elective paper selection: Life Insurance, General Insurance and Pension
- Candidates passed both Core and Elective papers will be awarded the Examination Certificate/Fellowship Certificate issued by ASHK.
- Language: English
- Duration: 45 minutes for each paper
- Exam Fee: HK$1,000 (both papers) / HK$600 (single paper)
- Format: 30 multiple-choice questions for each paper
- Open book examination
- Self-study basis